Independent Study Procedures
Independent Study is a state program that allows a student missing 5 or more consecutive days of school the opportunity to keep up with his/her work while they are gone. In addition, the state compensates the school for the days missed. If all work is completed, the absence is considered excused.
The following is a checklist of the steps that need to be taken for Independent Study to be set up and for credit to be given:
- The parent needs to come into the Attendance office and sign the contract.
- The student also needs to sign the contract.
- The day before leaving the student needs to talk to his/her teachers and collect an assignment sheet and work for each class, including PE and explore classes. This is the responsibility of the student, not the teacher. If they do not receive work from a particular teacher, they will not get full credit for their Independent Study.
- While away from school, the parent should ensure that the student is completing all of the assigned work. Some work may require a parent signature.
- Homework MUST be turned in on the day it is due, which is the day the student returns to school. If a student is delayed returning to school, the work is still due. It should be emailed or faxed to the school.
- On the first morning that the student returns, prior to the start of school, all of the work, completed or not, needs to be turned into the Attendance clerk, (not the individual teachers). The assignment sheet for each subject should be attached to the work that is turned in for that subject.
Because this is a state program and is subject to state auditing, work will not be accepted after the first day back.
***It should be noted that it is very time-consuming for the teachers and staff to administer this program***
If the nature of the absence is such that it is not likely that the work will be done,
please do not sign a contract for Independent Study.
Also, if the student does not complete the work for a given contract, future Independent Study contracts will not be available to that student.
If you have any questions, please contact the attendance clerk at the number below.
VRMS Attendance Clerk
951-302-5188 ext 4108