Joining Your AP Class!
In order to access all class materials, students must JOIN their AP course section. Their teacher provides them with a join code. The link below will walk them through the process.
You can contact the College Board to reset your account if you try everything and cannot access it. NEVER MAKE TWO ACCOUNTSContact AP Services for Students
Phone: 888-225-5427 (toll-free) or 212-632-1780
For more assistance, contact Mrs. King at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Curtis at email@example.com
Want to be a tutor? Need Tutoring?
Please fill out the survey if you are interested in working with kids in the TVUSD as a paid or volunteer tutor!
If you need tutoring, please fill out the following form so we can connect you with a tutor
Mrs. King at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Kofler at email@example.com
Mrs. Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org
AP AND IB SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS 2020-2021
CLICK THE LINK BELOW
IF YOU NEED A BOOK YOU CAN PICK IT UP ON JUNE 23, 2020 BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9 A.M. UNTIL 12:00 P.M. FROM THE GOHS LIBRARY...THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE
AP and College
Taking AP courses and exams improves your chances of getting into college, and can even help you minimize your college costs.
AP and College Admission
Colleges and universities value students who take the most challenging courses available at their school — for many schools, AP courses are the most advanced courses offered. In fact, 85 percent of selective institutions report that a student's AP experience favorably impacts admission decisions. AP courses on your transcript show colleges that you are intellectually curious, unafraid of hard work, and capable of learning the knowledge and skills expected of college students.
Your AP Exam scores provide colleges and universities with additional information about your ability to succeed in college-level study. Check the admission websites of the colleges that interest you to see if sending your official scores will help support your application.
Visit the Get In (Opens in a new window)section of Big Future to learn more about the college application process.
How AP Can Help You Save on Cost of College
You probably know that if you earn a qualifying score on an AP Exam, you can receive credit for the equivalent course at colleges and universities across the United States and in 60 other countries around the world. Depending on which college you attend, this could mean thousands of dollars saved.
Here are some other ways that AP can help you save on college that you might not have considered:
- Students who take AP courses and exams are more likely to graduate in four years, while most students take five or six years, and sometimes even longer, to earn bachelor's degrees at public colleges and universities. This means that the AP students who graduate on time save themselves and their families thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in unnecessary college costs.
- AP could increase your eligibility for scholarships. 31 percent of colleges and universities consider a student's AP experience when making decision about which student will receive scholarships.
Visit the Pay for College (Opens in a new window)section of Big Future to learn more about college costs and financial aid.
How to Earn Credit for Your Scores
If you earn an AP Exam score of 3 or higher, chances are you can receive credit, advanced placement or both from your college — nearly all colleges and universities in the United States — as well as many institutions in more than 60 other countries — grant credit and placement for AP scores or acknowledge AP scores in the admission process.
College credit and/or advanced placement can be a big reward for all the hard work you put into your AP courses and exams. Also, when you enter college with credit you've already earned through AP, you can save time and money. With a head start on your degree, you may have the flexibility to move into upper-level courses sooner, pursue a double major or study abroad.
So, How Does It All Work?
- The first thing to understand is that each college and university — not the College Board or the AP Program — makes its own decisions about awarding credit and placement. Most have a written policy spelling out things like the minimum required score to earn credit for a given AP Exam, the amount of credit awarded and how credits are applied. You can review this information by using the AP Credit Policy Search but make sure to confirm it on the college's website since policies can change.
- To receive credit, you must request that the College Board send your official AP score report to the college of your choice, either at the time of testing or afterward through a score report request. Colleges will usually notify you during the summer, after receiving your scores, about any credit, placement and/or course exemptions you have earned. If you have questions about the status of your AP credit or placement, you should contact your college. Send your AP score report to your college.
Get the most out of your classesYou’ll see the benefits of taking an AP class right away. In AP classes, just like in college, you’ll face new challenges and learn new skills in the subjects you care about. All with the support of your classmates and teachers.
With AP, you get to dig deeper into subjects you love. Your school can choose from more than 30 AP courses in subjects that directly reflect your interests.
In AP's immersive courses, you get to learn how things really work. Tackle concepts that will stick with you long after the class is through.
In AP classes, learning means sharing your ideas and expressing yourself. Add your unique perspective—the dialog and debate contributes to the knowledge that everyone shares.
With AP, you get to explore new ideas with your classmates and AP teachers. See and feel what college work is actually like, while receiving the support to help you get there.
Get to know yourself.
In AP classes, you can set bigger goals for yourself and do things you never thought possible. AP students can really test and push themselves in a familiar setting while gaining confidence, developing good study habits, and enjoying a great learning experience.
AP Course and Exam Registration 2020-2021
EVERY STUDENT IN AN AP COURSE MUST JOIN THE MY AP SYSTEM AND TOTAL REGISTRATION. THIS IS WHETHER THEY ARE SITTING AN EXAM OR NOT.
AP students from other schools, or who wish to take an exam independent study, please read all the way to the bottom.
iF YOU ARE PAYING FOR AN EXAM, PLEASE DO SO BEFORE OCTOBER 2, 2020 (FIRST DEADLINE). PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Follow your teachers' instructions to join the course. They will provide you with a specific join code
- If you are attempting to take a course independently, you must contact Mrs. King or Mrs. Curtis to enroll on the CB MyAP website.
- You cannot get an exam without enrolling with a join code.
- Independent study courses have a 20 dollar surcharge - total cost is 119 dollars before any late fees
- There is no 40 cost for dropping an AP exam, as long as you do so prior to February. It is safer to sign up and pay as you can then receive a refund if you change your mind.
2020 AP TEST ORDERING INFORMATION
Taking the Advanced Placement exams is an important part of all AP courses. Scoring well on an AP exam can often earn students college credit for their high school class, saving a significant amount on college tuition.
TO REGISTER FOR AN AP EXAM THIS YEAR, THERE ARE TWO STEPS:
- YOU NEED A JOIN CODE FROM A SUBJECT TEACHER. THEN REVIEW YOUR COURSE HOME PAGE ON MYAP - IT SHOULD SAY THAT 'YES', YOU ARE REGISTERED FOR THE EXAM
- YOU NEED TO ENTER ALL INFORMATION ON THE TOTAL REGISTRATION WEBSITE LINKED BELOW
- If you do not plan to take the exam, click the box in Total Registration that states this. That way you will not be charged for it, but we can easily confirm your decision and reconcile that with the College Board
REGISTRATION: For GOHS students visit this link
We strongly recommend that parents and students are both present while registering on Total Registration. Students/parents should click on the link provided on the school website or visit the website listed above. Registration is not complete until students have printed the confirmation page that is provided at the end of the registration process.
FEES: AP Exams
$99 dollars per exam by October 2, 2020
$104 October 3-October 23, 2020
$124 October 24-November 12, 2020
$164 November 13th through January 28th, 2021
$184 January 29-February 28, 2020
No exams will be ordered after that date
Any student who has registered for an AP exam but cancels prior to February 28, 2021 will receive a full refund with the exception of any late fees. After February 28, 2021 there are NO REFUNDS.
NO MAKE-UP EXAMS:
If you are absent on exam day you will need to request and possibly purchase an alternative exam.
FINANCIAL AID: Fees for AP Exams are reduced to $20 for low-income families. For this year, students must submit a copy of the approval letter for the Free and Reduced lunch program they received from the district. This should be submitted electronically as a scanned PDF or doc to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Meal applications for Free or Reduced Price Meals are available at the Temecula Valley School District Nutrition Services Department website http://temeculafreshfood.com. Approval of free/reduced meal applications may take up to 10 days. All late and cancellation fees apply per the calendar schedule above. Your letter must be turned into the office no later than October 2nd in order to avoid a late fee.
Students from other schools or doing independent study:
In order to register for an exam at GOHS, we need you to add a join code for the independent study version of the course. DO NOT GO INTO A TEACHER ACCOUNT AND JUST ADD IT. We reconcile those with our rosters, and we will have to remove you. Just contact me at email@example.com or Mrs. Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you. There is a surcharge for independent study this year as well. Each exam is $150. It demands more resources and proctors so we needed to do that. We offer most exams, just ask and we can let you know. You also need to click on the above link to go to Total Registration. That is where you pay for the exams.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR SUPPORT PLEASE CONTACT:
JANUARY KING - AP COORDINATOR - email@example.com - 951.294.6450 X 2009
AMY CURTIS - firstname.lastname@example.org
AMBER LANE - ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL - email@example.com
AP AND IB TESTING AT A GLANCE MAY 2020
Please use the link below to access dates, times and locations for AP and IB exams.
Be sure to check venue and time the night before an exam.
Be sure to be on time to an exam, and not to make plans for after the end of the exam in case it goes over.
See Mrs. Curtis or Mrs. King in the SPIRIT center if you need any help or have any changes that need to be made.